Rules of the Road
- Must be 18+ if you’re renting an e-scooter, or 16+ if you own yours
- Have a license – must have some form of valid ID
- Wear a helmet at all times
- Park respectfully – out of the way and upright
- Ride on the street — not bike paths or sidewalks
- Only half of people survive when hit at 30 mph. Santa Monica remains committed to zero fatalities and serious injuries on our roads during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. The streets may be wide open due to Safer at Home orders, but please remember that open streets are not an invitation to speed. SMPD is still enforcing our speed limits.
- Phones down – no texting
- Make sure to obey all traffic signs and speed limits
- Merge safely
- Yield to all pedestrians, even at unmarked crosswalks
- Make a complete stop at all stop signs
Grab a Bike
- Ride in bike lanes or with traffic, not on the sidewalk or against traffic
- Use hand signals when turning or merging into traffic
- Walk bikes across crosswalks and on sidewalks
- Wear a helmet
Stroll and Enjoy
- During COVID-19, you no longer need to press the pedestrian request button at signalized intersections. This will help flatten the curve and means that pedestrians will always have their turn to cross the street and reach essential destinations without endangering themselves and others
- During this public health emergency, we know lots of people are getting out for walks at 6 feet apart! Please remember that sidewalks are always the safest way to walk and run around our city. In crowded areas remember to keep appropriate physical distancing.
- At signalized intersections, cross only when there is a “walk” signal
- Make eye contact with people driving when crossing the street
- Use designated crosswalks and, when available, flashing beacons at select crosswalks
Enhancing mobility and easing congestion is one of the Five Strategic Goals of the City. GoSaMo is a City of Santa Monica initiative to educate, equip, and excite people about making the most of the new mobility opportunities the city has to offer.